As you probably already guessed, I’m quite excited for the big trip my fiancé and I are planning.
I have already put together a powerpoint presentation for each country we visit. I figured it would be fun and informative (and a great way for me to continue to stay jazzed up about it) to share its contents (plus a bit more) on a weekly basis.
Each week, the basic categories will be as follows
- Our Main Reasons For Wanting to Visit
- Cultural Don’ts.
- Currency and Exchange (though the exchange might not be 100% accurate as I did grab these numbers a few months ago.)
- Activities/Places We plan to do/visit whilst visiting
- Weather for the time of year we’re planning to visit.
This is the first week, and first place we’re visiting!
We’re planning to visit “The Big Island” aka Hawaii Island, for just under 3 weeks. We are leaving on a Thursday, and plan to fly out on Tuesdays (because it is much cheaper), so call it two weeks and a half weeks. 🙂
Our Main Reasons For Wanting to Visit
- Beautiful views
- Seemingly easy transition from Edmonton (not a huge culture shock, hopefully)
- Great “jump off” point – cheaper flights from Hawaii than Edmonton
- Lots of available workaways
- As it is a US state, nothing should be really out of the ordinary, I imagine at least.
- I didn’t really find anything that insisted on huge cultural don’ts… so I will just stay polite and friendly, as usual. 🙂
Currency and Exchange
- USD, 1 USD = 1.31 CAD as of March 29/16 (ugh this makes me sad)
Activities/Places We plan to do/visit whilst visiting
- W. M. Keck Observatory
- Kona Cloud Forest Sanctuary – Cool forest set up
- Puʻuhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park , USA > snorkeling, 40 min drive from Kailua-Kona
- Waipi’o Valley > 1.5 hrs from Kailua
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park > 2 hrs drive from Kailua
- Kiholo bay Hawaii > beautiful views/hiking , 45 min
- The average temperature is about 85 degrees Fahrenheit, relatively low rainfall, and is a down time for “tourist” season.
Note: The photo featured does not belong to me. I found it on google.